Sunday, November 30, 2008

Looking Both Ways Before Crossing

Throughout the last half of this course, I have come to realize that what interests me about writing is exactly what frustrates me about it: the struggle to communicate exactly what I mean. Keeping this in mind, I found reading over some of my previous blogs this week revealing. I can remember exactly how I felt or what specific thought I was trying to convey when I revisit particular sentences. How these feelings or thoughts are manifested in my language interests me. How these feelings or thoughts fail to be adequately communicated frustrates me.

Emily’s right--I have been thinking a lot about language. The majority of my entries revolve around linguistic issues (particularly forms of expression), and it has been both exciting and affirming for me to be able to discern this recurring theme in my thought. What makes such a difference to me is being able to see this concern with language as a genuine and fruitful interest of mine instead of just an annoying habit that I picked up as an English student. It is important for me to be able to know this—it gives me a more detailed view of who I am becoming as an academic and continues to help me in more readily identifying what I am looking to contribute.

In paying closer attention to language as a subject of study, I have also become increasingly aware of the ways in which I use it to express myself. At the beginning of term, Prof. Garrett noted that our blogs were to be about the depth of our thinking and not about the proficiency of our spelling and grammar. To foreground quality of thought in this way challenged me—not because I have been trying to avoid deep thinking, but because of the ways I have equated its expression with big words and complex sentence structure. A few of the authors that we have read this term only increase my awareness of the extent to which this bias is ridiculous and in need of modification. For me, Wendy Doniger, Debora K. Shuger and Caroline Walker Bynum all immediately come to mind. I have been engaged by their quality of thought and the way that each employs accessible languages in frequently conversational styles to meaningfully communicate intricate arguments. Being able to identify the kinds of scholarship that I positively respond to as a reader has motivated me to understand and work on how I want to “academically” write about what interests me. These weekly blogs have given me the space to diligently experiment with and continue to cultivate this kind of writing.

Having five individuals read and comment on my blog every week has also been a significant encouragement. Thank you Emily, James, Jessy, Rebekah and Prof. Garrett for holding me accountable to this task because knowing that I was writing something that would be read by all of you really made me think critically and sensitively through some issues that I might not have otherwise taken the time to ponder, let alone tried to write intelligibly about. Getting to read your blogs and discuss things further as a class was also so instructive—both in how valuable a multiplicity of perspectives on one topic can be and how important it is to admit that there is a multiplicity of valuable perspectives! I feel that these two points have been among the most difficult things that I have had to come to terms with in our course, and when I say, “difficult” and “come to terms with,” I don’t mean in a theoretical sense, I mean in a practical sense.

I am still trying to work out how my “belief” in these two points will practically affect my work. I know that it will inevitably give rise to a number of questions. I know that it will not necessarily do away with the possibility that some perspectives are more valid than others. But I wonder how, in such instances, will I come to know which one is more valid? Right now, I’m thinking about this in the context of my current thoughts on the relationship between neurobiology and religious (or mystical) experience. The languages of the scientist and the languages of the mystic are really diverse, as independent categories and when held in relation to each other. I think that both are valuable but are they equally so? What do we make of the mystic’s inability to “rationally” (or psychologically) account for his or her experiences in neurobiological terms? What do we think when a scientist is unable to adequately address religious experience as anything but a form of biological determinism? Is there a hierarchical relationship between these two discourses? Can one know/accept the answer to this question independent of one’s own belief? How will I engage with these questions in a way that respects the value of a multiplicity of valuable perspectives? I am still working on this and am slowly beginning to think about how one can learn to be okay with uncertainty or mystery and how this uncertainty or mystery might be legitimately fruitful.

I wonder how my approach to these questions would have been different if our course had been organized in terms of categories like, “Anthropology,” “Sociology” and “Psychology.” Would I even be thinking about the same kinds of questions? I wonder. I might ultimately have learned more about what these individual disciplines think of Religion and the methods that each uses to arrive at these viewpoints, but when it was all over, would I have known more about Religious Studies or simply more about “Psychology,” “Sociology” and “Anthropology”?

I like how our class was organized because of how it introduced me to the field in broad and specific ways simultaneously. Categories like, “Emotion,” “Tradition,” and “Text” exposed me to methods/theories used in the field while illustrating how these very methods/theories are often in and of themselves treated as subjects of study. I think that this might have contributed to my understanding of language as not only a method/theory with which to approach Religion and Religious Studies but also as a subject of study itself within these broader fields. I am not sure to what extent I would have made this connection amidst a host of “___ologies” and for me, even this alone has been of such value.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie, your sincere, genuine and honest voice comes through in everything you have contributed to our course. I can't stress enough how refreshing and inspiring that is! You grounded a lot of our discussions and I'm thankful for that!

I relae with you about struggling with language. I struggled with attempting to "define" those things which were not created (emotion, gender) or things that have evolved for millenia (performance, tradition). Nevertheless, like you, I did grow tremendously from the course and the way it was structured to promote creativity.

I know that with open, sincere and analytical mind, you are an invaluable member of your academic community!

Emily Springgay said...

Natalie,

It’s true having 5 people read and comment on your blog each week does keep you accountable! I didn’t discuss what a challenge it was having other people read your thoughts. I guess this was more a concern at the beginning of this course, and something I got over pretty quickly!

In reading your blog each week, I have developed a “fondness” for your writing style (it’s not really the right word, but I can’t accurately communicate my feelings through language anyway, right?  ). I really appreciated the questions you posed in your blog entries and in class discussion, and although we didn’t always know the answers, I think they were fascinating.

Can your interest in language function as a way to tie in English and Religious Studies? I still don’t know how Jane Austen would fit into this picture, but it’s a thought!

Also, I just wanted to add that Jessy has described your writing style so well: sincere, genuine, and honest!

rzwanzig said...

Natalie,

Language is a very perplexing phenomenon. I had never really though about theories of language much until last summer when I started reading Wittgenstein's Blue and Brown books. (After a month I had covered five pages of text. It hurt my brain to try and think in his fashion. For example, the first sentence: "What is the meaning of a word.") The questions you posed in your blogs reminded me of the importance of this kind of thinking! I think these questions are especially important to scholars working with mystical components. Your questions have made me re-look at how I argue about mystical experience/intuition. Thank you for all questions you challenged us with!

Anonymous said...

Natalie, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog over the course of this semester. Your stress on language, anthropology, and psychology has been a welcome focus within my own research interests. All of the above approaches to the study of religious phenomena is extremely consequential to our relation to religion, and an excellent choice.

I also get the feeling that you somehow would have come to your particular interests without the topics discussed in class. There is most obviously something within you that relishes in the subject which you have taken-up. And for some reason, you seem to me a bit of a modern romantic; something with great merit within such a study as religion.

I do hope that you continue to pursue religion, language, and humankind. You have the potential to offer much to the field.

Andrew said...

Natalie,

Since we are approaching the end of the course, I was hoping to examine some of our other classmates’ dialogical exchanges and to observe how the other groups function (because I could not help but wonder how each of our own individual voices have developed in relation to our particular subgroups within the class). I enjoyed reading through your blog this week and I must say that in reading your blog, I can clearly see evidence of intellectual development on your part since the beginning of the term when we had a few discussions of our own.

What I found particularly interesting in your blog this week was your remark that “Categories like, “Emotion,” “Tradition,” and “Text” exposed me to methods/theories used in the field while illustrating how these very methods/theories are often in and of themselves treated as subjects of study.” I have long thought that studying methodology itself was a most fascinating task (which is one of the reasons why I studied philosophy in my undergraduate degree). Of course, one of the problems with studying this though is attempting to apply theoretical methods to particular disciplines. Namely, it has been my experience to find that there are at times very particular methods which might be used to approach particular subject matter and which yield compelling results; however, upon applying the same methodology to another similar subject, the results may not actually produce particularly convincing conclusions. For example, when we consider Max Müller’s theory on the origin of religion, his approach seems to be rather insightful in regards to ancient Vedic religion, but applying his theory (which he maintains is applicable to all religion) is not particularly helpful when studying certain other traditions (such as ancient Canaanite religion).

I think that this is all very applicable to your discussion about the importance of our course being structured by terms rather than around “___ologies”. In particular, Müller was a very famous religious studies scholar who was focused upon studying early Indian religion using a linguistic approach. Prior to enrolling in this course, I had thought (likely due to my own personal bias) that we would have read some of his work (or works about his scholarship). However, this was my own mistaken preconception about how the course would be structured because, similar to you, now reflecting about how this course may have been structured, I see now that rather than learning about religion, we might have learned more about linguistic perspectives about religion by studying Müller (similar to what you have said about taking a psychological, sociological, or etc. approach).

Again, I am glad to see your concern with language because I believe that religious studies (and other disciplines) are in dire need of proper clarification of various terms in order to progress studies. I think that a study of language in religion is important for so many reasons (including the deconstruction and critique of apparent disagreements within certain scholarly discussions). On a somewhat different note though, one other thing I’d like to draw attention to in your blog is your statement “how valuable a multiplicity of perspectives on one topic can be and how important it is to admit that there is a multiplicity of valuable perspectives”. I agree with your statement here, but I would like to consider whether it is ever possible for a perspective to not be of value? Or, perhaps, how we might treat two perspectives when they both appear to be valid but yield conflicting results? How do we judge which method produces “more accurate” results? For as you say there appears to be a “possibility that some perspectives are more valid than others,” (which I agree with), but how do we treat the perspectives that are ‘less’ valid when we assess a plethora of data about one particular subject?

All the best on your endeavors,

Andrew